Thursday, February 25, 2010

Kit kats

I recently heard that the words for 'good luck' in Japanese sound similar to kit kat. Apparently parents buy their kids kit kats before big tests, competitions, etc. I'm not positive that this is true (I haven't learned good luck yet in my Japanese class), but it does explain why kit kat has developed a ton of flavors in Japan. Some flavors are seasonal and some are regional. We have a friend, Denise, who has been traveling this month and bringing us back kit kat flavors to try. So far we've tried:

tea (it was ok)
coffee (love it)
lemon (my favorite)
corn (nasty. leaves an awful corn after taste)
melon (ok)
maple (ok)
flan (pretty good)
wasabi (surprisingly good)
dark chocolate raspberry passionfruit (not a fan)
citrus (tastes like a creamsicle, but in a good way)

I heard there is a ginger kit kat, but I believe it's seasonal and won't be out until the fall. I do find myself running into convenient stores quickly to check their selection.

Here are a few that we've recently sampled (maple, strawberry cheesecake, wasabi, citrus):



If you're curious about some of the more wacky flavors, here's a website to look up. (or, you can look it up on wikipedia for a longer list)

2 comments:

  1. That's great! I imagine wasabi kit kat is similar to chili chocolate--a delightful surprise! Kari, I can just see you poking your head into shops to check out the different flavors on offer--you make me grin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just heard that there is a soy sauce flavor that is apparently good. I'm can't quite envision liking it...but now I'll be on the look out to try it.

    ReplyDelete