Friday, August 20, 2010

For the love of fruit

One of the reasons I love summer is the wide variety of produce that is available. I noticed this summer that the Japanese take very good care of their fruit.

Here is an example of a mango from the Philippines:



That's right. Each mango is presented in its own snugly Styrofoam wrapping. It's not just mangos that receive this much care, though. I've found extra wrapping/cushioning on peaches, apples, and cantaloupe.

Is really necessary? On the one hand, my fruit is always in really good shape. This demonstrates the way that the Japanese appreciate and take care of their food. On the other hand, this Styrofoam adds to the already excessive amount of plastic that I throw away each week. (which is even more noticeable since we have to separate the plastic out of our garbage)

1 comment:

  1. I remember the same thing in China. I wonder if our fruit is treated the same way but, due to our cultural sensitivity to excess packaging, the grocers remove the plastic "nests" before laying it out in the store.

    ReplyDelete